Monday, July 27, 2009

Fantastic fish print

I purchased this woodblock print from Lisa Studier this weekend. 11 x 14, on black Moriki paper. It's a deep-sea anglerfish, and unlike Japanese woodblock printing, in which a different block is used for each color, this is a reduction print. The same block of wood is used for each color, and is cut in-between the color impressions. The wood sort of consumes itself, and the process lends itself to rather limited editions.

I really like Lisa's work. I heard about it from Gerry’s blog. It turned out that Lisa and I have been on the same Park Slope Co-Op work shift for years now. She’s at the front of the shop, I’m at the back (Shopping Squad/Receiving Squad, more than a reality series). What is the lesson here? Support your local blogs, definitely support your local artists, and find out what all thirty or so of your fellow co-opers do.

2 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the link, too.

Gerry Gomez Pearlberg said...

Super cool. I love angler fish and I think Lisa's work rocks the house (and the boat). Happy you found each other.