Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Alfred Tredway White

Women and children first! I was in the Brooklyn Historical Society recently to celebrate the publication of Proteus Gowanus’s first publication, The Social Vision of Alfred T. White. Mr. “Philanthropy Plus 5 Percent” was responsible for the Tower & Home Buildings on Hicks Street and the delightful Workingman’s cottages on the Warren Place mews, among many other things, including, with his sisters, the Japanese Garden in the BBG, which is next to the White memorial plaque pictured above. An interesting character, not nearly known enough. This was the first time I’d been inside the BHS (I know, I hang my head in shame), where the library is absolutely luscious. I spoke to the Archivist, who was also luscious, and she said that Consolidation was still much bemoaned by library users. Right on.

No comments: