Friday, January 9, 2009

This morning at Prospect Park Lake

Bufflehead, Bucephala albeola, out of focus, yes, but ever so rare to see one of these on land. That wedge of white on the head makes this species unmistakable.

Nearby, in a furry-budded magnolia, just waiting to burst open in a couple of months, was the ruins of a bald-faced wasp nest. I thought I might find a shard of the wasps' paper on the ground, but found a piece of the hive instead.

I like the little rings of ice around the reeds.

After Monday's mocking bird and brant, and today's bufflehead, ruddy duck, great blue heron, ring-necked duck, and fox sparrow, I have now seen 41 species of birds in Brooklyn since New Year's day. The number won't be getting too much higher soon, athough there are some near-shore ducks I hope to spot in the harbor or Jamaica Bay in the near future.

No comments: