Monday, December 1, 2008

More lineages

Great grandmother Eolah, my father’s father’s mother. She died at 33 in 1903.
This is one of her five children, my grandfather Ray, just a couple of years older than I am now. No doubt this ID badge was a part of the new order of WWII, which saw the birth of the national security state. Those who know me can see that I get my eyebrows from this side of the family.
This is Charles, one of Ray’s four boys, who died at 11 months of age in 1916. He’s in the arms of Ella McCall, wife of Massachusetts Governor Samuel W. McCall (who was replaced in 1919 by Calvin Coolidge, who would ride his suppression of the Boston Police Strike to the White House). Evidently it was baby week at the deparment store, hence the newspaper photographer.
Kodachrome slides dating from 1953 to the 1980s. There’s a big desk drawer filled with the things, most of them in rectangular slide magazines for a projector that hasn’t worked in 20 years.

No comments: