Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fishy

Georges Braque’s poissons. For my soon to be 11-year-old niece, who has the misfortune of celebrating her birthday on the other side of the world, and two days before Xmas, a French picture book called Petit Musee, from which this image comes.

If I’m not mistaken, the dual fish are my “sign.” Although I prefer “Danger Falling Rocks,” and respond that way when the unwary ask me what my "sign" is. Recently, I decided to not buy fish anymore. The ocean is just too depleted, species counts are way, way down, farm-raised is ecologically disastrous, o, it just goes on and on.

I’ll miss smoked bluefish, fillets of stripped bass (king of fish!), and eel most of all.

2 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

Please. You are depressing me MORE. I am already so depressed.

amarilla said...

There's always the jellies. I hear you can pickle them. And the cubist's fish are most satisfying.