Monday, September 15, 2008

Dog Days

Man, it was umid this weekend! I was dying in the late blooming dog days. Hallucinating in the swampy air, I wandered up one of the stages at the Brooklyn Bookfest yesterday for their trivia contest. They were reading passages from Brooklyn authors, and you had to guess who wrote the passage. Only, it was too easy, multiple choice. The passage they read for me was something I didn’t recognize, but choice a) was Philip Seymour Hoffman and b) was Truman Capote. I don’t remember who c) was, because it hardly mattered by then. What, Capote a Brooklyn author? Yes, he lived in Brooklyn Heights, and wrote “A House in the Heights” about it. There’s a plaque on Columbia Heights at his old digs, if I remember rightly. My prize was a hokey t-shirt that said “Respect: It’s a Brooklyn Attitude.” News to me.

No comments: