Friday, June 6, 2008

lunch orgy

Tipped off by the Pope of Pork, I lunched today at the Sts Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral Festival on Schermerhorn St. between Court & Spark (a.k.a. Boerum Pl). They are there through Sunday. As it was a working day lunch, I had to pass on a glass or three of ouzo, alas, but I understand they will be partying late tomorrow night…. Get the donuts, way in the back of their food alley, enlivened to ecstasy (Greek word, dontcha know) by a honey syrup. The tiny elderly woman frying them up was beautiful to see as she worked, squeezing dumplings of the yeasty wet dough between thumb and first finger, scooping the bud off with a spoon and then launching it into the hot fat. One after the other. Ummmm. The baklava torpedoes were excellent, too, crisp on the outside, honey spicy nutty inside, but above all fresh. So many of the places on Atlantic have such lame-assed baklava that the good stuff is a joy to taste. I didn’t fly over the walnut cake, but I should have known that beforehand. And for those of you worrying about my diet, I did start with the savory: pork souvlaki, which was good eatin’ as I waited in line to get some other things: moussaka, dolmades, tiropites. For later. ’Cause I can’t move at the moment.

2 comments:

amy merrick said...

can't wait to gorge tomorrow.

apt pupil said...

Dang. I might have to go there tomorrow too.