Wednesday, March 14, 2007

O my

A sheep’s head. Not the fish. A sheep’s head, skinned, eyes still looking fresh, little teeth in the narrow jaw. Actually I called it a goat’s head at first, but sheep, or lamb, makes more sense. I think. It was sitting on the sidewalk on a southwest corner of Grand Street tonight, near the Grand Street L stop, ‘round about 7pm. There are a million stories in the naked city and this was surely one of them. Its plastic wrapping was nearby. (Don’t you wrap your sheep’s heads?) Later some cops came, but I missed that since I was already at my destination. One of the people I was meeting, though, went right out to take a photo of it for her 15 year old nephew, who’s birthday it was. First he asked her what it was. Then when she told him he text-ed back “o my.”

No comments: