Monday, January 25, 2010

Good thing, bad thing

The Brooklyn Flea has winter quarters in the old Williamsburg Savings Bank, now known as One Hanson, on Saturdays and Sundays. The space -- the old banking floor, the mezzanine, and the vault basement -- are fantastic if you have never seen them before. The vault has three enormous locks, all open and leading to the various food vendors. The banking floor, from mosaic roof to floor, is one of the best interiors in the city. I was in there once before during a Open House NYC, and it was much dustier. I am so glad it’s being used.

*

Another fine word lost. I was reading a restaurant blurb in Time Out NY and came across a reference to a “curated raw bar.’ A couple of years ago I was rolling my eyes when poetry readings were being advertised as curated, but this reaches the nadir. It joins “luxury” in the killed-by-pretense category.

No comments: