Friday, October 23, 2009

Tonight's menu


Dinner for seven tonight. A couple of vegetarians in the mix.

Tomatillo salsa and chips
*
Carrot ginger soup
*
Ground nut stew with rice
*
Cornmeal pound cake, sour cherries, and Swedish cream

The order of battle: I didn’t make the chips. I put the sour cherries in the freezer earlier in the summer, the salsa a couple of weeks ago. The soup I made yesterday. The pound cake, stew, and rice I made today. I'll make the Swedish cream just before serving.

2 comments:

YourFireAnt said...

Tell me about Swedish cream.

T.

Matthew said...

Swedish cream is from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything cookbook (p 647 in the paperback version). I whip heavy cream to soft peak stage, adding a bit of sugar and vanilla extract, and then fold in sour cream. Bittman's recipe calls for a cup of cream and 1/2 cup sour cream, but I never make that much. It's the Brooklyn Bachelor's creme fraiche, but without the diacritical marks.