Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dinner

The BBQ at Since 1963 (I await their tee shirts), the new incarnation of the Trout/Pacifico/Insert New Name Here Smith & Pacific St corner mini-theme restaurant complex, isn’t bad. Among other things, I got some of their peppered pork belly. Now pork belly, which is where bacon comes from, is fatty stuff; one of the pieces in my portion was all fat. Too much fat to eat, actually, but I saved it for later, sliced it up and rendered it down to lardons, or cracklings (cue the fire alarm, which is very sensitive) and threw them in with these tortellini and green peas and CSA snap peas. This was proceded by some CSA radishes and a long cold drink of freshly squeezed lemonade spiked with my own lemon-peel infused vodka. I got the idea for the vodka, which turns stridently yellow and has a wonderfully lemony aroma, in Kingsley Amis’ Everyday Drinking.

No comments: