Thursday, December 11, 2008

Nummulosphere

How did this happen? I have twenty seventeen apples in my refrigerator. There’s already some applesauce in the freezer and I eat one or two a day, so this is getting worrisome. I think they’re reproducing.
Apple cake counter-offensive!

Apple-cake-eating fact: The Nummulosphere, a book of the early 20th century, argued that most of the planet was composed of nummulites, a type of larger foraminifera, which in fossil form accretes into limestone. The Pyramids are made of it, so why not the rest of the world?

3 comments:

amarilla said...

I have a feeling that apple accretion doesn't look like that anymore.

Matthew said...

No, there's very little of it left now. But boy, I bet there's some accretion elsewhere! My new secret weapon: a "cake soak" a la Mark Bittman. Practically waist-line suicide, but o so good. I also gave a big piece of it to the elderly woman who lives upstairs and doesn't get out much.

amarilla said...

God bless you, lad!