Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Learsense

I’ve been stimulated. Oooooooo! Have you? Now I’m supposed to go out and buy some shit, right? Well, I need a new camera. That should do wonders for the Chinese economy … Trouble is, I hate shopping. Morally, emotionally, & physically, I loathe it.

Yesterday was Edward Lear’s birthday. We know him as a wily manufacturer of nonsense verse, of course, but he had a very fine eye for the birds. He was, in fact, one of the great ornithological artists: Lanner falcon (Falco biarmicus) above; chough ("chuff" Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax) below. From Birds of Europe. More here.
Unfortunately, my 600 simoleons wouldn’t buy but a corner of one of his lesser prints, and besides, I believe he’s well past stimulation. Not that he wouldn’t have liked it, at least that’s what I hear about Mr. Lear.

No comments: