Friday, December 7, 2007

Vanishing New York

One of my favorite Canadians (o how I want to be one when I grow up) alerted me this guy Jeremiah (too perfect a name?) who's going down fighting amid the two banks on every corner and ass-ugly glass condotowers ripping the heart out of the city. It's like he's my doppelganger, only more articulate and aware. I'd put him in my crush list, but he looks like Travis Bickle.

These slivers of glass erupting everywhere helter-skelter, they remind me of the hotels in Zihuatanejo. Four or so towers shooting above the jungle, stuffed with gringos. It was more than 20 years ago that I was there, but at the time they made me think of ticks in the flesh, sucking the blood of Mexico. No wonder soldiers patrolled the beaches with submachine guns.

All that glass is gonna break hard.

2 comments:

Traci said...

C'mon, you have to admit that Travis Bickle is hot.

Matthew said...

You talkin' to me?