Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Eggy eggplants



These came yesterday from my CSA. I'm turning them into an all-purpose sauce with onions and tomatoes tonight.
*
Reading path: I started with America’s Kingdom, about the U.S.’s disastrous history in Saudi Arabia. Arabist St. John (“Sinjin”) Philby played a large role in this, for he was instrumental in SoCal/Aramco’s winning of the concession; he’s more famous for being Kim Philby’s father, of course, but stands in his own right as something of an asshole. The Philby connection then led me to Treason in the Blood, Anthony Cave Brown’s duel biography of pere et fils. Torrid. Luckily, I didn’t fall into the pit of the Angleton Morass, that swamp of ambiguity, but it did make me want to see Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Spy again. And all this led me to Kipling’s Kim, which I haven’t cracked yet. In the meantime, I've been reading E.O. Wilson. It's interesting, my late turn to the natural world.

No comments: