Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Green beans

What to do with two pounds of green beans, which I got today along with two pounds of cucumbers, a bunch of chard, a head of cabbage, and bag of peas-in-the-pod at my CSA. Never liked beans when I was growing up: they always squeaked when I bit into them, an experience similar to chalk on the blackboard. It was one of the few things my Mom did not excel at cooking. But then I came across that Greco-Turkish-Greek (just trying to cover all my bases here) way of cooking them down with tomatoes and garlic and serving them hot, room temp, cold, whatever. Simple, the main ingredient being time. Clean ‘em, top ‘em, throw ‘em in a pan and cook 'em slowly with a bunch of smashed garlic cloves and a big can of diced tomatoes until, say, an hour, an hour and a half later, they are meltingly tender.

Meltingly tender. Just like me!

No comments: