Monday, April 30, 2007

Nature Boy


On my way to the BBG for a course in tree care/pruning, I passed through Prospect Park, the Ravine, about 5pm. Alerted by this guy I quickly spotted a brilliant prothonotary warbler at the Ambergill Falls, as well as a couple of black-throated blue warblers, and a surprisingly low-flying northern parula. Also, a blue-headed vireo, several yellow-rumps, two thugged-out dudes hogging the boulders on the bridge, and a woman up on the steps who made me feel self-conscious because I was pointing my bins all over the place. A kingfisher rattled by.

Then, in the Garden after hours for the course, spotted a turkey vulture overhead, a couple of crows being mobbed, and a red-tail floating in place. By the end of the class, along with a waxing gibbous moon, a couple of bats were seen above.

Also at ground level, a rather large (two foot shell!) turtle, or perhaps tortoise since it was on the ground. This borough is going to the animals.

No comments: